Monday, August 12, 2013

Reunions, Part II, Regrets


Reunion, Part II: Regrets
 

I’d give a million tomorrows for just one yesterday…

Lyrics by Milton Berle, 1950
Music by Jerry Livingston

 
What always surprises me as I read accounts of class reunions is the focus most authors have on what one of them termed the “muted sexuality” of the class reunions. I wasn’t aware of that at our reunions, any more than the usual and very same kind of kidding that went on in high school, which I never thought of as “muted sexuality.”

Perhaps, as some authors suggest, with the passing of years memories of high school crushes grow more desperate or one is freer to be open with these feelings when less can be done about them. Or it could be that the one who does the approaching just wants the person to know that he/she was the object of their affections in high school.

Authors who write about reunions often describe incidents of persons who hold the fantasy of consummating a relationship that was not completed in high school. They further indicate that almost every one of these persons expressed a poignant regret at the loss either of friendship or, in some cases, of the continuation of the shared love never to be realized. What an intriguing thought it is, however, that many of us now have the adult resources to fulfill any lingering passion of our adolescence. I wonder how many people actually do.

What is most touching to me, however, is the deep caring many people have for particular classmates and the number of them who have the courage to express these feelings. I am amazed that these men had the courage to express their feelings. The following are examples classmates have shared.

Why didn’t you tell me how you felt about me?” was his question.

He admitted that he, as well as others, had been intimidated by me because they thought I was so smart that they were afraid to ask me for a date.                                                                  

You always were special to me.                                                                                             

I had a letter from him today in which he told me he had had such a crush on me in junior high.  A couple of years ago he told my daughter that he and I had dated, and sure enough, written on March 15, 1951, as only an 8th grader would write, is, “I do hope Bob likes me.  Lucille asked him if he likes me and he said, “She knows I do.” I hope he does.                                       

He thanked me for preparing special football scrapbooks, adding, “Thank you for all you are and do. This all goes to show what I said a long time ago—you scare me with all your smarts, talent, and energy. You bury me!!” I’m still not sure if that was a compliment.   

Personally the compliments I most treasure are from (1) those who told me I should have been our class president, (2) those who said the class had made a mistake electing the same male for four years, and (3) those who think I really was the class president. I hold to my heart being termed the “soul,” or the “memory keeper” of our class.

The photos you found hit me like a tsunami of time and memory. A collection of our youth and changes and how we all were integrated with each other, our families, and other friends. Thank you.               

One of the positive results of reunions is getting to know classmates better. By listening to them talk about how they saw themselves as teenagers we often can gain insight as to how they see themselves today. What is curious, however, is that while classmates seem to be willing to talk conversationally, many still hold back on discussing substantive topics or talking about anything personal. A few misunderstandings have been aired among our own class, but never quite to the point of resolution. And some misunderstandings never will be overcome, because the persons with the unresolved issues do not attend reunions.

How sweet and wonderful we all were, remembering and finding nice things about each other in our emerging selves.  It is heartwarming to share such memories of the tender time we passed through together.                                         

Every year, even prior to the reunion tours, I find myself imagining all of the local buildings as being the way they were in 1955, and I still get a lump in my throat on the last wide turn, under the railroad bridge, heading into Curwensville. The passenger train station is no longer standing, but I can’t help thinking of my Aunt Jessie waiting there in the summer of 1924, full of the sense of adventure as she headed to Clarion Normal School.

I don’t want to go back to Curwensville to live, but there is something compelling about the momentary sensation of thinking I am going home. The most difficult part of returning—every time—is the absence of the Teen-age Center, the Patton Building (our high school), and my family’s fine, late nineteenth century home on lower Thompson Street—all of which were razed.

However, every year we go back with heads full of pleasant memories, a few amusing stories to retell, and hearts full of goodwill. The most difficult time in recent years has been saying good-bye at the end of the week-end, wondering how many we will see again the next time. As one of the fellows wrote, after he had remained in Curwensville for another day after the reunion and then had taken a long, circuitous flight home the day following, “Things felt empty yesterday after you all left.”

My reply was, “It was empty also to those who left. I suddenly felt very lonely on the way home.”

No comments:

Post a Comment